Safety instructions to follow during our canyoning and water hiking activities with Lesgeckos guides
We draw your attention to some important points:
- You are never obliged to make a jump that you would not want to do. If it is not possible to get around the obstacle, the guide will suggest you to use the rope to get off the obstacle (abseiling or other technique, your guide is there to ensure your safety).
- Canyoning involves significant intrinsic risks, injuries to the back, cervical, handles, ankles are always possible during the evolution (walking) or crossing obstacles (jumps, slides and abseiling).
- We do not accept the children under 12 years old unaccompanied by an adult.
- We do not accept pregnant women in canyoning whatever the stage of pregnancy.
- All information that may affect the safety of the group or persons must be reported to the guide or to the person who will take your reservation.
Some advices to evolve safely during a canyoning descent:
Walking in canyoning?
You will evolve and walk along a river, in rocks ers, it can be wet so slippery, walk carefully, do not run, use your arms to stand on the sides, do not hesitate to sit down and down on the buttocks. In canyoning we are equipped with a 5 mm neoprene wetsuit, a shoulder harness and a helmet (the harness is not necessary for water hiking).
Sliding while canyoning?
The principle of the canyoning toboggan is to slide on the water, it will be necessary to lie down in the water at the start of the toboggan, then in it is important not to try to brake with the hands, arms or feet, you would risk to hurt you by typing the rocks on the sides.
- go down into the water
- lie back at the beginning of the slide « mommy » position, legs tight and slightly bent, arms crossed on the chest, nothing must exceed. If you want to stop your nose no problem.
- when into the water, muscle tight. Take a breathe, you’ll have your head under water.
- Once in the water just swim to reach an edge.
Jumps in canyoning?
In canyoning we jump, in the water course, small and big, everyone can choose to make or not a jump. They are never obligatory, your guide will be the last judge and has the right to forbid you a jump if it considers that it is risky for you according to your physical capacities.
- Stay stand up at the right place, be carefull of zipping, keep your feet flat on the rock..
- you jump as if you were jumping on the floor, your guide will tell you where to jump, listen carefully and ask to repeat if needed.
- On arrival in the water the body should be vertical, feet always forward and legs slightly bent to protect you if you touch something, cushioning with the legs. Arms crossed on the chest as for the slides, you can stop your nose. We arrive in the water so we take a breath. On some jumps of low height your guide will tell you to jump in « bomb », it means that the depth of the basin is weak and it is better to arrive half-folded legs but always with the feet forward, never on the buttocks.You do not jump any canyoning, the arrival in the water can be hard so we will gain, ie contract the muscles … It is important.
- Once in the water we swim to get to an edge, your guide will tell you where to go.
rappeling in canyoning?
Your guide is there to install the rope on the belay and put it in your figure eight break. We do not use self-locking canyoning systems for safety reasons. Therefore it is up to you to hold your rope below the chute and let it slip between your hands, gently, smoothly and without letting go of this rope.
We use several techniques:
- the classic rappel back, feet on the rock , we walk back on the wall.
- the toboggan, lying on the ground, we use the rope not to go down too quickly.
If you have long hair, use a rubber band to attach them, put them as much as possible in your helmet, they must not be able to get stuck in your break, everything will be blocked.
Your guide must be warned of all that could be important to ensure your safety at best during the tour.
Indicate beforehand anything that could affect the smooth running of the trip such as:
- if you have undergone surgery, back or cervical in particular.
- if you have particular phobias.
- if you have medical treatment to take away during the activity, insulin pump, Ventoline, we don’t provide any kind of medecine.
- All important and useful information to report.
After all that you should spend a pleasant day with our guides. Enjoy well.
Lionel and Lesgeckos team.